Sunday, 9 April 2017

Medlock culvert

The Medlock Culvert was built to re-direct the Medlock River in Manchester, after a series of floods, the worst being in 1872 where the flooding was so bad it literally tore bodies out of graves in the nearby cemetery, sending around 76 corpses floating away, The culvert is constructed of various stone and brickwork, and incorporates street drainage and a water drain off for the nearby Rochdale Canal. The culvert starts in Phillips Park.
When Joseph Adshead made his extraordinarily detailed maps of Manchester in 1851, the Medlock was depicted meandering across open fields in Miles Platting; while the Ordnance Survey map of 1893 showed the river still open but straightened in its course (1). Culverting of this section of the Medlock began in 1905 and was complete by 1909. At the same time, a whole section of the river upstream in Philips Park was canalized with millions of red Accrington bricks, forming a walled bank, the fast-flowing water carried in an artificial channel. Today, Manchester’s ‘red’ river is being restored to its ‘natural’ state, the bricks being slowly removed in an attempt to rehabilitate the watercourse in Philips Park

in we go 


Built of brick and stone 
not sure about this 

Manhole entrance



Cso
 We know a man what has a sexual thing for manholes 



Time to soak the tootsies 



The mad river knife man 








Cso










The canal above overflows into this culvert cascading down a
serious of steps into the river















Exit

No comments:

Post a Comment